The holidays are upon us… and excitement is in the air!
The cold weather is refreshing, the twinkling lights are magical, and the party invitations are exciting. But, as you well know, holiday enchantment often comes with holiday stress.
If you’re like most of us – you overdo it during the holidays. It’s common to go overboard to please others: shopping, cooking, purchasing gifts, sending cards, and attending events. It’s pretty easy to find yourself stretched too thin.
And the scary reality is that stress has serious implications for your health and wellness. Beyond causing unwanted facial wrinkles like frown lines and crow’s feet, stress can lead to a number of serious physical and mood-related symptoms. It has been linked to everything from headaches to heart disease, from anxiety to depression.
The good news is that there are a number of methods you can use to get through the holiday hustle and bustle without turning to medication.
At Cole Aesthetic Center, we believe in a holistic approach to health and wellness. That’s why we’ve put together these 5 tips to help you beat holiday stress.
5 Tips to Beat Holiday Stress
- Get enough sleep: Sleep deprivation is a major disturber of people’s moods, and has a host of other health effects. It can contribute to memory loss, weight fluctuations, and a weakened immune system among other things. Jet lag, traveling, parties, and over-excited children all make it hard to get in your usual number of hours of sleep. So this holiday season, make an effort to get to bed at a decent hour – it will really pay off for your health and happiness.
- Exercise: It may be the last thing you feel like doing when you’re stressed out, but studies show that one of the quickest and surest ways to boost your mood is to exercise. If you’re away from home and can’t work your usual routine, even a short walk will help. Plus, taking time to do something good for your body amid the constant pull of holiday activities is an easy way to reduce anxiety, and make for a more pleasurable time with the people you love.
- Take your time; plan ahead: Hurrying to pack, rushing through stores, sprinting to make a flight – these are sure to make you feel harried and stressed. Try to give yourself plenty of time to get the essentials done, so you can dedicate more energy to the unexpected holiday needs.
- Make time for real fun: Sometimes holiday vacations, which are supposed to be “fun,” are actually a lot of work. But don’t neglect what makes you happy. Laughing reduces hormones that create stress. It helps to relax your whole body, boost your immune system, and improves blood flow to your heart. So get happy, get healthy, and lose the stress.
- Forget perfection: We know the old adage – “Nobody is perfect.” But for some reason that universal knowledge is easily forgotten during the holiday season. We have to remember that we can’t do it all, and that sweating the small stuff creates unnecessary pressure on ourselves. Rather than fretting over imperfections, focus your energy on enjoying the people in your life. After all, isn’t that what holidays are about?
Want to learn more about how Cole Aesthetic Center can help boost your health and happiness this holiday season? Fill out the form below or call us at 360.613.2600 to set up your consultation today.