Eyes speak a language all their own. They’re the windows to our souls, expressive of our true emotion. However, as we age, their vibrancy begins to fade.
The culprit? Typically our eyelids.
Often a telltale sign of aging, the eye’s surrounding muscle begins to degenerate, which introduces fatty tissue into the area. In addition, the collagen and elastin in the lids begin to break down, slowly contributing to a growing collection of creases and folds in the skin.
The result is droopy eyelids, which hang above our eyes like heavy curtains—concealing otherwise youthful-looking eyes.
So, how can we rekindle that sparkle?
The solution to tired eyes
It’s called blepharoplasty (BLEF-er-oh-plas-tee). Also known as an eyelid lift, blepharoplasty is a corrective cosmetic surgery that improves the functionality and appearance of your eyelids.
The minimally invasive procedure takes only 1-3 hours to complete, and ranges in scope depending on the patient’s needs. During the procedure, extra skin and fat are removed from the lids—resulting in a brighter, more awake appearance.
While blepharoplasty is primarily a cosmetic procedure, for some, it may be medically necessary in order to improve the loss of peripheral vision. This condition (known as ptosis) affects men and women equally and is usually age-related. Ideal patients are generally age 35 or older and in good physical and mental health.
Age is not the only offender. Hooded eyelids, under-eye bags, loose eyelid skin, and other related characteristics can stem from health conditions like stroke, diabetes, myasthenia gravis, nerve damage, or injury.
- Refreshed eyes that look healthier and younger
- Higher self-esteem and confidence
- Reduced puffiness, wrinkles, excess skin, and dark circles
- Relief from a muscle strain in the upper eyelid and forehead
- Restoration of natural eyelid shape (upper and lower)
- Clear, unobstructed vision
Eye care maintenance
The skin around our eyes is the thinnest and most delicate on the entire body, so make sure to take good care of it. Here are some helpful tips:
- Rest up. Strive for 8 hours of sleep every night.
- Use cream. Look for brands with retinol, vitamin C, and growth factors.
- Wear shades. Sunglasses block damaging UV rays and squint-inducing sun glare that causes wrinkles.
- Salt lightly. Consume salt in moderation, and intake less of it as the day wears on to avoid bloating.
- Be healthy. Eat your vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes, and whole grains. Exercise regularly and practice stress management.
The eye is a delicate, over-worked area—and over time, it becomes ever more apparent. Blepharoplasty’s lasting effects remove years of fatigue, resetting the natural progression of aging. Click here to learn how to achieve bright eyes, see the world more clearly, and look as great as you feel.
Is blepharoplasty the right choice for you? Let us help guide you in your eye health discovery. Fill out the form below or give us a call to schedule your consultation today.